Tuesday 20 May 2014

Your six favourite bits of social media

I’ve been dreading and looking forward to this one in equal measure...

Such a difficult call, with so many amazing yet fleeting phenomena which are gone and forgotten despite their popularity in a matter of weeks. And then there’s the “bits” equation. Are they blogs, twitter accounts, individual tweets, videos, random memes?

There is TOO MUCH CHOICE. But I’ve selected six items across various social media which have amused, amazed or titillated me, and despite the fact their popularity may have peaked and receded some time ago, they have stayed in mind and have been subject to the odd repeat viewing, for one reason or another. Here goes...

Batman slap:


It’s not even funny, but it has me in stitches. Something about the “deeeeaaaaaad” I think. I imagine him wailing in a Neil Stuke / Game On manner, and shaking his fist. It has spawned a million baby-meme parodies, some wonderful, others not so. I know it’s not funny, but even finding them to write this post had me in stitches.

“Deeeaaaaaaaad!!”

 


I’ll Eat A Shit
I don’t know how many times @superlative and I have listened to this, even ages after it rose and faded online, but I love it.  I love the actors, I love the delivery, I love the backing music and the seriousness of the whole enterprise. Especially: “And obviously not a Christian either!”.



Get’s me every time. I really want to know what JilianLovesTheBiebs has to say about it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxrWuE5qC5c 

Good AfterMornings
I have rhapsodised about this particular blog enough here, so I will not go into detail. I will say just this: I have laughed (and cried) at this particular story, and it is an ongoing saga, so many times. You will most definitely enjoy the story of this frustrated office employee and his unmistakably insane boss, I cannot recommend it enough and I implore you to read it.
Read from the very start here: http://goodaftermornings.blogspot.co.uk/2009/03/introductions.html
You will be glad you did...


Missing Missy
This has been doing the rounds for years, and I’m sure you’ve read it, but it has diminished and gone into the west now, so maybe you’ll enjoy this reminder. A faffy, annoying, attention-hungry woman pesters a designer colleague to make her a poster, and he obliges with the most unhelpful series of passive-aggressive feints ever. Mean, but you’re so on his side.



And “No Reward”?  Sheer joy.
http://www.27bslash6.com/missy.html


The Judd
This one is self-explanatory. I would literally let him do anything he wanted.  He could punch me in the face and I would still love him. So here, gentle reader, is The Judd at his best.




The Fail
Sadly, popularity killed this one. There is still the odd gem, but a quick flick through the blog now shows it is up to 4000 odd pages now.  The quality has dipped accordingly.


But those early days, before it was over-subscribed by millions of keenbeans saturating it with flimsy, ineffective parodies?  It was amazing, and had me in absolute hysterics. There are still some amazing ones, every now and then, but you might have to wade through some poor ones before you hit the jackpot. Same for autocorrect fails too... killed by success.  But for old times sake...






No comments:

Post a Comment