Friday 9 May 2014

Which superhero do you identify with and why?

This is an easy one. I am mega-obsessed with super-heroes, comics and all that shiz. But let me tell you the story first...

I grew up with ‘Transformers UK’ comics -  still the finest comics ever written, bar none. I pretty much know the entire run, word for word, from start to finish. 

I don’t know why.

I graduated to Spiderman in the late 80s, I think after reading a review of, then buying, then playing (for hours) the Spider-Man game on Sega Master System. It was a bit of a life-changer. This was when I ventured from the love of Transformers comics solely (which was inherited from my brother) to full-blown comic geekdom. I never looked back. It expanded and evolved from Spider-Man to X-Men, to god knows where... I now collect so many titles it’s not even funny.

It’s really not.  It’s an expensive hobby.

Spider-man and X-Men are an interesting pair though.  Superhero comics in general, but these two lines in particular are eternally popular with teenage males (obviously), but especially with gay, black and Jewish teenage males.

Care to venture an opinion why? Secret identities, hiding your true nature, inherent differences you can’t control – that you may have been born with – but that set you apart.  Kept hidden for fear of ignorant or violent reactions from those around you.

The math isn’t hard. No wonder the gays love their X-Men.  The parallel is drawn constantly, but is very real and very tangible. They elude to it constantly in the films and books.

But the ones I really love? The one I identify with the most? 

I like the ones who don’t act like heroes. Who aren’t kind and just and brave. I like them because they’re actually very real- ruthless, troubled, introspective, fearless, merciless, untrusting, desperate, damaged, greedy, driven, vulnerable

I like Magneto. And I like Death’s Head.

They’re not written like comic characters at all. They’re written like people, despite the amazing powers and crazy adventures. They’re heroes (most of the time) and you root for them, but they’re not very nice people.  They’re flawed. They’re just like... people.



Except one is a giant robot, but you get the idea.

  





No comments:

Post a Comment