Tuesday 14 May 2013

Day 14: Ten things that make you really happy.

1) Cocktails.
Cocktails make me happy. We have a small but well-stocked little cocktail bar in our kitchen, and it is my favourite part of the house. When Simon gets home from work, I often hand him a martini, and I’ll have one whilst I’m cooking.  We have people round for cocktails all the time, and sometimes have them in the evening when we’re watching television or whatever.  It’s like a little treat – a signal that you can relax and your time is your own.


2) Roof-down days.
I know it’s wanky. I know, and I can’t help it, and I don’t care. I wanted a convertible for years and years, and worked for years and years, and saved up for years and years and drove a really old lady car for years and years... I now I have one.  And I LOVE IT!  And sunny days, driving around in the sunshine?  It’s just the best and I love it every time.


3) Dancing.
There’s nothing like dancing. Dancing your troubles away. Dancing like no-one’s watching. It’s just fab and makes me happy. I’m not particularly fussy about music, and I may not be the world’s best dancer- though bizarrely people used to approach me and ask me if I was a professional – whilst doing giant hand gestures and ridiculous actions for Oops, I did it again on podia over the years. I was actually quite pleased. I also quite like the feeling sometimes, dancing to One Direction in binty clothes surrounded by gays, where I wonder:  what would my pupils would say if they could see me now?


4) Getting the credit.
Getting the credit I deserve is incredibly important to me. I’ve filled out those personality/career questionnaire activity things a few times over the years, and getting credit for my work and my contributions is always super high on my list of priorities. Sometimes I am so desperate for recognition for something kick-ass I’ve done that I’ll take it/send it/show it to my boss on the flimsy pretext of checking it’s okay- even though I know it’s amazing- just so  they’ll know it was from me and not someone else.

5) Straight boys flirting
I’ve said something about this lately, so I won’t harp on. But nothing gives me a giddy thrill like a hot straight boy flagrantly flirting. And I love rushing home to Simon to say “Oooh, you’ll never guess what XYZ said today!!” Then we get all silly and excited about it.

6) Kicking ass at climbing.
I climb... ooh, every two weeks now.  It used to be weekly. Actually it *used* to be twice a week.  But I got busy.  But I still love it. It’s harder and harder to get there after a day at work now and I secretly always hope it’ll get cancelled, but once I get there I LOVE it. It’s so satisfying and I’m pretty good now- I love it when I ace a hard 6 and it feels all effortless.


7) Eating out.
Oh eating out, how do I love thee? We eat out loads.  It’s my favourite. Sometimes swanky, sometimes cheap and cheerful – either works for me. I basically love food, and eating out I get stuff that I can’t cook myself or can’t be bothered to cook myself. The only thing that stops me eating out every day is that I’d be morbidly obese in a fortnight.


8) Counting my money.
I know it sounds bad- like a giant in a folktale, but I like counting my money. I like putting money in my savings. I like opening it up and going ‘Oooh, look at my savings!’ I’m not deliberately careful with money, in terms of self-denial or going without. We go shopping, eat out, go for drinks and go clubbing a lot, so it does mount up. But honestly?  I think I have fairly modest taste and my resting state is generally quite frugal. I always have money left for my savings after all the bills have gone. And I love it. I love knowing I can have pretty things and have a holiday if we need one. I like watching it grow...

9) Bath, Booze, Book.
I need an hour on my own a day. No disrespect to Simon, but as I described before, I have people basically talking at me from the second I get out of my car to the second I get back in it and drive home. So I have a drink, a bath and read my book every evening and it’s just wonderful.


10) Dressing up.
Fancy dress is my favourite thing in the world. You can expect to see frequent mentions of this. Any opportunity really. Halloween is my favourite night of the year, but I’ll take whatever chance I get. It really is super amazing fun, and I like to try and be clever or inventive or unusual. I also like to get my kit off, so dressing up is really just a flimsy pretext for getting naked.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't read this before I wrote my post, and we've ended up putting half the same things. We're like a fucking match.com couple! I hope it makes everyone else sick.

    ReplyDelete